December 3, 2016
In today's post, we want to bring to your attention this wonderful book by Adler Mortimer entitled "How to Speak How to Listen". Adler is best known for his classic"How to Read A Book" . In "How to Speak How to Listen", Adler provides some very helpful ideas and guidelines on the art of intelligent speaking and listening across different contexts. Adler argues that speaking and listening were not given their due worth in formal instruction in schools and that the emphasis was placed more on writing and reading.Moreover, for any effective communication to take place, students need explicit training on how to better speak and listen and Adler sketches out a wide variety of strategies together with illustrative examples on how to cultivate these communicational skills.
Some of the key points covered in this work include:
- Forms of persuasive speech
- Forms of instructive speech
- Preparing and delivering a speech
- Writing while and after listening
- The variety of conversations
- How to make conversations profitable and pleasurable
- Teaching and learning by discussion
- Conversation in human life.