In today’s post, we are shifting gears to focus on the best cell phones for kids. This might seem like a bit of a departure from my usual education-focused content, but in today’s digital age, having a cell phone has become almost as crucial as having a backpack for school. A cell phone can be an invaluable tool for communication, safety, and even education.
With countless models available, each boasting different features and specifications, selecting the perfect phone for your child can be quite a daunting task. That’s why I’ve taken the time to research and curate a list of the best cell phones for kids, considering factors such as usability, durability, safety features, and of course, the educational value.
So, whether you are a parent looking to introduce your child to their first phone, or an educator seeking to recommend a kid-friendly device to your students, this guide is designed to help you make the most informed decision possible.
- Best laptops for teachers
- Best tablets for teachers
- Best Laptops for college students
- Best Chromebooks for students
- Best Kindles for reading
- Best tablets for kids
- Best tablets for college students
- Best iPads for Teachers
- Best Smartwatches for kids
Best Kids Smartphones
Here are our picks for best kids smartphones:
Introducing our first product: the Apple iPhone SE 2nd Generation. This selection came naturally considering Apple’s well-established reputation for producing high-quality, reliable devices.
The iPhone SE, in particular, is a fantastic option for kids due to its manageable size, user-friendly interface, and robust security features. It offers an excellent balance between top-tier features and affordability – a key consideration when purchasing tech for children.
- Unlocked and compatible with any carrier of choice on GSM and CDMA networks.
- Guaranteed to have a minimum battery capacity of 80%.
- Includes a generic (Mfi certified) charger and charging cable.
- Comes with iOS 15 installed.
- Supports Wi-Fi connectivity.
- 12MP wide camera for high-quality photos.
- Storage capacity: 64 GB.
- Display size: 4.7 inches.
- Battery Power Rating: 3600 Amp Hours.
- The device is compatible with any carrier, providing flexibility.
- The battery capacity of at least 80% ensures long-lasting use.
- Comes with a 12MP wide camera, perfect for young photographers.
- It does not come with headphones or a SIM card.
- Battery life may still be an issue for heavy users.
- The storage capacity of 64GB, while decent, may still be limited for heavy app users.
Next on our list is the Palm Phone PVG100. What sets this phone apart is its incredibly compact and lightweight design. This Palm Phone can literally fit in the palm of your hand, making it perfect for kids, and especially useful for those who enjoy outdoor activities. Its minimalist approach doesn’t mean it skimps on features; it’s an unlocked smartphone equipped with Android OS and various features that make it an excellent choice for a child’s first phone.
- U.S. carrier unlocked, compatible with Verizon or any subsidiary networks of Verizon.
- Compact and lightweight design, weighs just 2.2 oz.
- Equipped with a 3.3 inch HD display, 12MP rear camera, and 8MP selfie camera.
- Includes GPS, Face Unlock Recognition, Water and Dust resistance (IP68), Hands-free Google Assistant, Android Google Play Apps, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth.
- Unique Life Mode that silences incoming calls and notifications every time the screen is turned off. When the screen is turned on, the phone becomes fully connected again.
- Battery Power Rating: 800 Milliampere Hour (mAh).
- Memory Storage Capacity: 32 GB.
- RAM Memory Installed Size: 3 GB.
- Extremely compact and lightweight, perfect for kids.
- Life Mode helps to reduce distractions.
- Includes high-resolution cameras and various smart features.
- The phone is water and dust resistant (IP68), providing durability.
- Comes with a small 800mAh battery, which might require frequent charging.
- Storage capacity of 32GB might be limited for some users.
- The compact size might make typing and reading on the device challenging for some users.
Our third selection is the Samsung Galaxy S8+. Samsung has always been a strong contender in the smartphone market, and the Galaxy S8+ is no exception. With a generous 6.2 inch display and advanced features such as facial recognition and an iris scanner, it ensures that your kid will have a phone that is not just functional but also secure. The powerful camera with dual-pixel technology also makes it an excellent choice for budding photographers.
- Enjoy services like Video Calls, NumberSyncSM, Wi-Fi Calling, HD Voice, and more on the nation’s best data network.
- Features Samsung’s best camera yet for clear, sharp, detailed selfies, and brilliant photos in virtually any light.
- Compatible with the Samsung Gear VR headset for exploration of multi-dimensional worlds in virtual reality.
- Facial recognition and iris scanner features for fast and easy-to-use access.
- Memory Storage Capacity: 64 GB.
- Large 6.2 inches display resolution: 1440 x 2960.
- OS: Android 7.0.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, GPS, Glonass.
- Color: Midnight Black.
- High-resolution camera with dual pixel technology for clear, sharp photos.
- Facial recognition and iris scanner features for extra security.
- Compatible with the Samsung Gear VR headset for VR experiences.
- Large 6.2-inch display, perfect for viewing content.
- Weighing 1 ounce, it might feel too light and delicate for younger children.
- Might be over-featured and complex for younger kids.
- Higher-end price might not suit all budgets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: What age is appropriate for my child to have a cell phone?
A: The appropriate age can vary greatly and depends on your child’s maturity level, their understanding of responsible use, and the needs of your family. It’s important to have discussions about expectations and rules for cell phone use before giving your child a phone.
Q2: What are some considerations when buying a cell phone for a child?
A: Consider factors like durability, cost, ease of use, parental controls, and the types of features that the phone offers. For instance, GPS tracking might be important for some parents, while others might prefer a phone with educational games or fitness features.
Q3: Are the cell phones on this list suitable for all children?
A: Each phone on this list is suited to a certain age range and set of needs. For instance, the Apple iPhone SE 2nd Generation could be suitable for older children or teens.
Q4: How can I ensure my child is safe while using their cell phone?
A: Educate your child about safe and responsible phone use. Use parental control features to monitor usage, limit screen time, and block inappropriate content. Also, it’s important to talk to your child about the dangers of sharing personal information and the importance of privacy.
Q5: Is it necessary to buy a new cell phone for my child?
A: No, it’s not necessary. Refurbished or older model phones can also be good choices for kids, as they are often more affordable and still offer many of the necessary features.
Q6: Can the cell phones on this list be used with any carrier?
A: Most of the phones on this list are unlocked, meaning they can be used with any carrier. However, it’s always best to check with the specific carrier to ensure compatibility.
Q7: Do these phones come with SIM cards?
A: Typically, phones do not come with SIM cards. You will need to obtain a SIM card from your chosen service provider.
Q8: What does the term ‘unlocked’ mean in regard to cell phones?
A: An ‘unlocked’ phone means it is not tied to any specific service provider, giving you the flexibility to choose your own network and change providers as you see fit. It also usually means the phone can be used internationally.