July 16, 2014
While searching for some resources on a paper and writing on the 21st century learning skills I came across this skills checklist created by the university of UToledo. This checklist is meant to help students build powerful resumes outlining all the skills they master. I spent some time going through the components of this sheet and found it really sharing with you here. You can use this sheet with your students as an explanatory guide of some of the important skills ( I said some because some other important skills particularly those related to digital citizenship and digital literacy are missing) they need to work.
Below is a round-up of the 9 most important skills which I selected from the entire list. You can access this list from this link.
1- Research skills
- Know how to find and collect relevant background information
- Be able to analyze data, summarize findings and write a report
- Be able to review different points of view or ideas and make objective judgments
- Investigate all the possible solutions to a problem, weighing the pros and cons
- Be able to organize information, people or thins in a systematic way
- Be able to establish priorities and meet deadlines
- Be able to clarify the nature of a problem
- Be able to evaluate alternatives, propose viable solutions and determine the outcome of the various options
- Be able to generate new ideas, invent new things, create new images or designs
- Find new solutions to problems
- Be able to use wit and humour effectively
- Be able to draw specific conclusions from a set of general observations of from a set of specific facts
- Be able to synthesize information and ideas
- Be able to make formal presentations
- Present ideas, positions and problems in an interesting way
- Be able to present information and ideas clearly and concisely with content and style appropriate for the audience
- Be able to present opinions and ideas in an open, objective way.
- Develop the capacity to adapt to new situations and settings
- Be able to tolerate change well
- Have flexibility to adapt to the needs of the moment