I was asked several times to share Chrome extensions that can be of some help to teachers. I have actually shared some titles that I included in Educational Chrome Extensions section here in Educational Technology and Mobile Learning but I have never compiled an extensive list as is the one below.
The thing about Chrome extensions is that you need to be careful with the ones you install on your Chrome browser; some might cause loading time issues and others might cause the sudden crushes that Chrome is known for.
Here is my advice: choose only the add-ons that you think can really be helpful to you and if it happened that you installed an extension and then later on realized that you don't use it at all, go to your Chrome settings and get it deleted. Another work-around for problems caused by installing too many extensions on your browser is that , download the extensions you need and put them in disable mode, activate them only when you need them. Here is how to do it :
1- Click on customize button to open the drop down menu
2- Click on Tools, then on extensions
3- Uncheck the " enable" button in front of the extension you want to disable . Chrome automatically saves your changes.
Here are some of my favorite Chrome extensions, you can download the whole list from this Link. Keep in mind that this is not my work, Jake Duncan did it and on behalf of you I thank him so dearly.
- Autocopy - Automatically copies text or links when they are selected. Imagine how many times a day you click Control or Command + C. Now, you don’t have to!
- Awesome Screen Shot - Capture a whole page or just a portion. It also ncludes annotating tools.
- Clea.nr - Removes YouTube add-ons and related videos from the screen, showing only the video and the search bar. Great for removing questionable ads and related videos that pop up.
- Docs Quickly - Allows you to quickly create a new Google Document, Presentation, Spreadsheet or Drawing.
- Evernote Web Clipper - Lets you send any link or site to Evernote.
- Handy Google Shortcuts - Creates an icon that allows the user to quickly access all things Google.
- One Tab - Whenever you have too many tabs, One Tab converts them all into a list saving “up to 95% of memory.”
- Panic Button - Closes all open tabs in a Chrome window. Click the extension again to reopen them all.
- Printliminator - (not an extension) Use this bookmarklet to remove unnecessary or unwanted aspects of a web page before printing.
- Save as PDF - Lets you download web pages into PDF format.
- Send to Google Docs - You can take any webpage and turn it into PDF that you can send straight to Google Docs.
- Turn Off the Lights - You can dim the background when videos are playing. Useful to eliminate inappropriate advertising in YouTube videos. Shows up in address bar.