As an academic activity, creating story books engages students in meaningful social learning activities that target a wide variety of literacy skills. There are tons of story maker apps out there that students can use to create and share their own digital story books and the list below features some of our favourite titles to try out. These are apps that will empower your students with a suite of creative tools to help them unleash their story telling gene within. Students will be able to design their stories using pre-made templates, writing prompts, images, audio and music, customized backgrounds, and many more. Check them out and share with us your feedback on our social media platforms.
This is definitely one of the best story creator apps to use with your students. Some of the features it offers include:
- “Add text, choosing from over 50 fonts
- Add photos and images from your iPad’s photo library, from the web, or use the iPad’s camera
- Resize, rotate and position content as you like with guidelines and snap positioning
- Add video and music, and even record your voice
- Use the pen tool to draw and annotate your book
- Choose from portrait, landscape or square book sizes
- Add super powers to your books with comic templates, stickers and styles
- A quick tap and you’re reading your book in iBooks!
- Publish your book online (teachers only)
- Send your book by email
- AirDrop to iPhone, iPad or MacBook
- Use a cloud service such as Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive (and more)
- Save your book as a movie file and upload to the web
- Print using AirPrint or other printer apps, or export as a PDF
- Ability to send via WebDav server, or simply connect your iPad and transfer to iTune.”
“With Story Creator you can easily create beautiful story books containing photos, videos, text, and audio all in one gorgeous collection”. Some of its features include:
- “Creating stories is fun, simple, and easy… even a child can do it
- Supports gorgeous photos and videos
- Add Photos from device, Dropbox, Flickr, Picasa, or Facebook
- Can add text and audio recordings with every page
- Supports text highlights – which makes is it easy for kids to learn how to read
- It’s super easy to share stories with others and copy stories across devices
- Share stories via email with one click.”
“Designed for the classroom and at home, Scribble Press is a creativity platform for children to imagine, write, illustrate, and share their own stories. NEW, Powerhouse features include video export, audio recording, music, 300 new drawing tools, backgrounds, and stickers to inspire creativity and 30 fill-in-the-blank story starters ranging from the silly to the sublime.”
Some of the features provided by My Story Book Maker include:
- “Create and share storybooks in movie and ebook format by adding drawings, photos, and stickers. Export to iBooks or YouTube!
- Record your voice on every page and share your story with friends, family and classmates!
- Share your storybooks to the web, on Facebook and Twitter, and standard ePub format to be viewed in 3rd party apps or edited in iBooks Author. Or export as a movie to Mp4 format straight to YouTube!”
For more Story Maker apps we recommend this list from Common Sense Media