July 28, 2014
With the massive uptake of web 2.0 technologies, the concept of portfolios has migrated to the cloud giving rise to what is now termed electronic portfolios or ePortfolios for short. An ePortfolio is similar in essence to the traditional pen and paper portfolio but with a set of added advantages. For instance , ePortfolios are accessible anywhere anytime with internet connection. Also ePortfolios allows for a wider inclusion of different multimedia items such as videos, podcasts, audio recordings, slides, text, images and many more.
Why Use ePortfolios ?
According to Cornell University, there are different learning purposes and benefits behind using ePortfolios.
A- The learning purposes of ePortfolios include:
- Reflecting upon learning processes and outcomes.
- Organizing and presenting learning accomplishments.
- Developing self-assessment skills.
- Representing learning experiences.
- Developing multimedia skills.
- Creating electronic text for specific audiences.
- Learning how to use technology to support lifelong learning.
B- The learning benefits of ePortfolios include:
- Personalizing the learning experience.
- Allowing students to draw connections between their various learning experiences over the semester and beyond.
- Seeing progress over time.
- Enhancing critical thinking.
- Evaluating and assessing student products and processes.
- Assessing course learning outcomes.
- Gaining insight into how students experienced a curriculum
If you are planning to further explore the concept of ePortfolios and probably try it with your students in class then here are two great resources you should definitely keep with you. These are :
1- ePortfolios Guide from CUCTE
This page from Cornell University Centre for Teaching Excellence provides some key insights and ideas to help you understand and better use ePortfolios with your students. It particularly covers the following items:
- What are ePortfolios?
- Why use ePortfolios?
- How can you get started with integrating ePortfolios?
- How can you introduce ePortfolios?
- What are some ePortfolio learning activities?
- How can you assess ePortfolios?
- What can be done with the final products?
This is an excellent Pinterest board packed full of resources related to digital portfolios. This board is run by Lisa from TechChef4u.