One of the major problems that faced us, the pre-Internet English learners, was the practice of English in real-life situations with native speakers. Practice is key in learning any language and more so in learning phonologically complex languages such as English. Thanks to the digital revolution and the social web, students now can interact with native speakers and connect with other learners from all around the world without having to leave their homes, this is especially helpful in times of pandemics and lockdowns when home learning becomes the norm. In today’s post we are sharing with you this collection of Android apps to help your students and /or kids improve their English speaking. The apps provide a wide variety of listening and speaking activities, conversation practice, phonetic exercises and many more. If you are looking for classic apps for learning English, check out this list instead.
1- English Conversation Practice
As its name indicates, this app provides your students with the practice needed to improve their English conversational skills. It offers over 200 English conversation lessons, including listening exercises, comprehension quizzes, conversation recording and many more.
2- English Speaking Practice
“These English conversation lessons will help you with your English speaking and English listening while giving you the confidence to speak with native English speakers. We have basic English conversation lessons for beginners and also beginner level business English conversation. These are perfect for beginners wanting to improve their English conversation skills.”
“If you are looking for an app to improve your English Conversation and Listening skills and help you speak more fluently, this app is suitable for you. Whole audios of this app are in American accent. This app also includes the list of most common words and phrases used in daily conversations. It will help you speak English fluently.”
For those of you interested in learning how to speak American English, this app is a good option to consider. It offers the following:
- “Get a curriculum tailored to your speaking level, so you can focus on the right words.
- Learn to speak over 2000 of the most popular English words with perfect pronunciation
- Find out exactly which sounds you spoke are incorrect
- Receive feedback on how to move your tongue and lips to correct your words
- Practice common phrases used in everyday life, like at work, during interviews, and while traveling
- Practice in a relaxed environment without fear of embarrassment in front of other people
- Track your progress and come back to practice any words you’re still stuck on
- Get results, fast! 27 hours with ELSA is equivalent to a semester of university course in America to gain excellent pronunciation and reduce accent.”
Another useful app to help you hone in your English speaking skills. It offers the following features:
- “Learn to pronounce standard vowels and consonants in English
- Signs to recognize the vowel, consonant
- Stress in English, the accent
- The sign of the location of the accent
- Pronunciation of English as native speakers, analysis of the wrong place, recording and self-listening
- Choose the standard pronunciation of English words
- Write phonetically
- Search for accent”