Open Culture has this incredible resource of free ebooks to download and read at your own pace. This collection contains 800 eBooks covering works of fiction, non-fiction and poetry. You have different options to download and read them: you can read them on Kindle, iPad/iPhone, computer or online. Simply click on the option you want and follow the instructions provided.
For those of you interested in classics, this page from Bartleby titled ‘The Harvard Classics The Shelf of Fiction’ features tons of classical works of the 20th century. It is one of ‘The most comprehensive and well-researched anthology of all time comprises both the 50-volume “5-foot shelf of books” and the 20-volume Shelf of Fiction. ’
Here are some of the works featured in Open Culture’s collection, check out the full list from this page.
- Aristotle – The Categories
- Austen, Jane – Pride & Prejudice
- Camus, Albert – The Stranger
- Chomsky, Noam – The Prosperous Few and the Restless Many
- Christie, Agatha – The Secret Adversary
- Confucius – The Great Learning
- Conrad, Joseph – Heart of Darkness
- da Vinci, Leonardo – A Treatise on Painting
- Darwin, Charles – On the Origin of Species
- Dewey, John – Democracy & Education
- Dickens, Charles – Great Expectations
- Fitzgerald, F. Scott – The Great Gatsby
- Freud, Sigmund – Interpretation of Dreams
- Homer – The Odyssey
- James, Henry – Turn of the Screw.
First appeared here