January 11, 2017
With the start of this new year, Google Classroom announced the release of a bunch of interesting new features. Most important of them all are: new teacher notifications, individual assignments, and classroom user metrics. Below is a short review of each of these features. Check out Classroom Help to learn more about other features and stay updated of upcoming features:
1- Individual assignments
Teachers are now able to share work and announcements with individual students in a class. Here is how to post an assignment to individual students:
“By default, an assignment is posted to all students in the class. However, you can choose to post an assignment only to individual students. You can’t post to more than 100 individual students at a time.
- Next to All students, click Down Down Arrow.
- Click All students to deselect it.
- To select students, check each student’s name.
- Note: When you post an assignment to individual students, you’ll see the number of students assigned the work in the class stream. To view the students’ names, click [number] students on the assignment.”
2- New Teacher Notifications
As a teacher, you can now start receiving email or mobile push notifications each time a student sent you a private note, submits late work, resubmits work. comments on your post, or mentions you in a comment or post. Here is how to set up notification settings:
- Sign to your Google Classroom
- At the top, click Menu
- Click Settings (you might need to scroll down).
- Check or uncheck the Send email notifications box.
3- Classroom User Metrics
As an administrator, you can ‘ see usage trends and monitor Classroom user activity in your school. You can view highlights, view aggregate reports, or view safe activity.