November 23, 2016
There are multiple ways teachers can use technology in their instruction and one important one of them is for classroom management. Over the last few years we have reviewed numerous mobile apps and web tools that aid teachers in effectively managing their classes and today we are sharing with you five excellent tools from our collection. Some of the things you can perform with these tools include: create groups with specific seating charts, give instant feedback to your students, poll your classes, control the level of noise in your class, communicate with parents and keep them engaged in the learning process taking place in class and many more.
Class123 is a free classroom management tool with various classroom tools and communication features. Class123 is both available on app and on desktop. Some of its features include:
- Give instant feedback to your students from your mobile or computer.
- Encourage individual students and set group goals for the whole class.
- Keep parents and students engaged
- Share photos and videos, stories, and learning materials through the built-in board feature.
- Send private letters to students or parents.
- Select students for classroom activities with the random picker.
- Use your class projector screen with the digital chalkboard to teach with visuals.
- Set groups with the seating chart and award teamwork with the ‘Class goal tracker’.
ClassDojo is a beautiful, safe, and simple communication app for teachers, parents, and students…ClassDojo helps teachers build a positive classroom culture by encouraging students and communicating with parents. Here is some of what teachers can do with ClassDojo:Encourage students for any skill, like “Working hard” and “Teamwork; bring parents into the classroom experience by sharing photos, videos, and announcements. Teachers can also safely and instantly message with any parent. Additionally, Parents see their child’s updates at home, as well as a stream of photos and videos from school.’
Plickers lets you poll your class for free, without the need for student devices. Just give each student a card (a “paper clicker”), and use your iPhone/iPad to scan them to do instant checks-for-understanding, exit tickets, and impromptu polls. Best of all, your data is automatically saved, student-by-student, at plickers.com.
This is a fun app that children enjoy and respond to. It’s a real boon to any adult who needs to control the levels of noise of a group of children. Some of its features include:
- Displays graphically the background noise level in a room in a fun and engaging way.
- Allows the tolerable noise level to be adjusted to cater for those “louder activities” as well compensating for banging doors and other sudden noises with the “sensitivity” and “dampening” sliders.
- Star Awards can be awarded at predefined time periods ( from 1 minute to 13 minutes ) for each of the 10 available “Star Awards”. The “Alarm Counter” can be reset or disabled completely.
Watch or control your own set of lights. Use for educational purposes or just for fun. Traffic Light! Can also be used for behaviour management…The traffic light with four colours (Red/Amber/Green/Blue) could be used as a teaching aid, where each colour represents an action for the students to perform e.g. RED: No talking, listen / AMBER: Work by yourself / GREEN: Keep on working and co-operate with others / BLUE: Personal time.