April 26, 2016
Below are two important tips that you may want to try in your Gmail. The first one shows you how to automatically forward incoming emails to a different account. For instance if you have created a new Gmail address and want to keep receiving new emails sent to the old address, you simply activate auto-forwarding feature in your Gmail setting and you will have all your incoming emails in one single inbox. The second tip is about importing mail and contacts from a different email provider to Gmail. Click on the hyperlinked titles to learn more about each tip. Enjoy
1- Forward new emails from other accounts
If you want new emails sent to an older Gmail address be forwarded to your new Gmail address you need to set up automatic forwarding in the settings of your new Gmail account. Here is how to do it:
- ‘Open the Gmail account that you want to forward from.
- At the top right, click the gear Settings.
- Select Settings.
- Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Click Add a forwarding address in the “Forwarding” section.
- Enter the email address you want to forward to.
- For your security, we’ll send a verification email to that address. Open your other email account and find the confirmation message from the Gmail team. If you’re having trouble finding it, check your Spam folder.
- Click the verification link in that email.
- Back in your Gmail account, reload the page in your web browser – look for the reload icon Reload.
- On the same Forwarding and POP/IMAP page in Settings, check that Forward a copy of incoming mail is selected and your email address is in the drop-down menu.
- In the second drop-down menu, choose what you want Gmail to do with your messages after they’re forwarded, such as keep Gmail’s copy in the Inbox (recommended) or archive Gmail’s copy.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.’
You can also forward emails from another email provider to your Gmail but only if the email provider you use supports this feature. Many email providers support it though. Check the settings or help centre of your email provider to find out if it does.
2- Import old emails and contacts from other account
If you decide to switch from an email provider to Gmail, you can use this hack to help you import all your old emails and contacts right to your new Gmail. Also, ‘new emails are forwarded to your Gmail account for 30 days to give you time to tell your friends about your new address.’ You can check out this long list of emails providers that support this feature.
Here is how to start importing mail and contacts from another email provider:
- Open Gmail
- Click the gear icon in the to right
- Select Settings
- Open the Accounts and Import tab at the top
- Click the Import mail and contacts link
- Enter your information for your old account and choose what to import.
- After you click Start import, look at the “Import mail and contacts” setting again to see whether your import has started. If you see a message that your account requires another confirmation, click Proceed.
Source: Gmail Help Center