- TED:Venerable open source institution TED makes its impressive suite of video lectures on every subject imaginable available on the iPad for maximum infotainment.
- Khan Academy:Like TED, Khan Academy features some incredible videos by experts hoping to educate viewers about anything and everything they might find interesting.
- iTunes U:Some of the top universities in the world contribute to iTunes U, providing open source content to keep users constantly learning.
- Flashcards:Put those brand new skills to the test with this amazing customizable flashcard app that allows users to write up their own quick quizzes.
- PBS:Watch favorite educational PBS programming anywhere, anytime, and even pick up shows broadcast only in other cities.
- iMovie:Channel that creativity into shooting and editing movies directly on the iPad – perfect for lifelong learners who want to share everything they’ve picked up on their educational journeys.
- BrainPOP Featured Movie:Because BrainPOP aims itself at kids, the app works best for parents wanting to spend time with their children in edifying ways. Every day, it features a new movie about a different subject, crammed full of fun facts and other quick tidbits.
- Wikipedia:The groundbreaking open source encyclopedia is available for both browsing and editing, and lifelong learners can use it to both add to their own knowledge banks and contribute to others’.
- AskPhil:Read and ask questions of living philosophers and philosophy experts about both the pressing questions of the day and general inquiries about the nature of life, the universe, and everything.
- NPR:NPR’s official app features more than just current events — iPad enthusiasts love listening to podcasts, watching videos, and reading stories about the latest movements within science and culture.
Life-long learning is such a vast topic that is very hard to delimit and when it comes to curating iPad apps to promote it there seems to be an abundance of tittles to choose from. I have devoted an entire section here in Educational Technology and Mobile Learning to this topic and I invite you to explore the digital resources I have shared in it. I am also sharing with you today a bunch of useful apps to foster your life long learning plans, check them out below and let us know what you think of them. Enjoy
Cross posted from our colleagues in Open Online Courses.