November 24, 2016
Digital classroom and/or paperless classroom is a relatively new concept that revolves around the exclusive use of digital tools and web technologies to not only replace traditional pen and paper ways of teaching and learning but, more importantly, transform such practices in ways that facilitate instruction and enhance students learning. In the act, digital classrooms make use of a wide variety of educational web tools and mobile apps that facilitate workflow and increases productivity. For those of you intending to integrate a paperless classroom methodology, here are some of the basic tools you need to consider. Some of the things you can do with these tools include:
- Create, distribute and receive assignments
- Collect and provide timely feedback
- Take notes, annotate PDFs and share instructions
- Communicate with parents and keep them informed of classroom learning
- Create and share digital learning PDFs
- Initiate formative assessments through quizzes, polls and exit tickets
- Track grades, record attendance, create seating charts
- Signing and sharing documents electronically
Google Drive is absolutely one of the indispensable tools in the digital classroom. It provides teachers with a variety of educational tools and features to help them create , store and share different forms of documents, spreadsheets, slides and drawings. It also provides collaborative features that enhance team work and collaboration. Google Drive is also available for different devices and works seamlessly across various platforms. Alternatives to Drive can be Dropbox, Evernote,
‘Showbie is a free educational app for teachers and students that makes creating and completing assignments, providing assessments, and storing grades easy. Some of its features include:
- Share work from thousands of compatible iPad apps in a few taps
- Use the pen tool and pin text notes directly on any PDF or image
- Quickly distribute instructions and materials to your whole class
- Chat privately with individual students to provide timely feedback
- Record voice notes for verbal feedback or language exercises
- Quickly review and assess batches of student work and provide rich, valuable feedback
- Add student work to individual digital portfolios, or enable students to curate their own portfolios
- Invite parents to view their student’s work and keep them informed of classroom activity
- Can be used with any classroom subject
- Available in 13 languages.’
‘Engage, assess and personalize your class with Socrative! Educators can initiate formative assessments through quizzes, quick question polls, exit tickets and space races all with their Socrative Teacher app. Socrative will instantly grade, aggregate and provide visuals of results to help you identify opportunities for further instruction. Save time and visualize student understanding when it matters, now! To get started using Socrative, simply register for a Socrative Teacher account. Your Socrative account will work with other Socrative Apps and via all browsers. Students can connect to your unique room by opening their apps or joining your room on Socrative from any device.’
‘The Nearpod platform enables teachers, schools and districts, to use their iPads to manage content on students' iPads, iPhones, iPods or Macs. It seamlessly combines interactive presentation, collaboration, and real-time assessment tools into one integrated solution.’
‘Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.’
‘DocuSign is a great app for signing and getting documents signed from your iPhone or iPad. It is one of the most widely used eSignature and Digital Transaction Management platform in the world. Key features include:
- Fill out and sign documents for free, there is no monthly limit.
- Send the complete document to anyone via email, Dropbox, Box, Evernote, Google Drive, and more.
- Create and customize your personalized signature right from your iPhone or iPad.
- Supports PDF, Word, Excel, Images (JPEG, PNG, TIFF), Text, and more.
- Open an email attachment in DocuSign or important documents from cloud services including Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, Evernote, and Salesforce.
- Offline access allows you to sign even when there isn’t internet connection – even on a plane.’
Edmodo makes a teacher’s daily life easier by providing a safe and easy way for teachers and students to engage and collaborate for free, anytime, anywhere. You can use Edmodo for : Secure classroom discussions, posting assignments, gradebook tracking, file sharing and uploading and many more. key features include:
- Classroom activity feed
- Student progress tracker
- Educational resource library
- Professional learning networks.’