February 11, 2016
Pixar in A Box is a free online course created out of a partnership between Khan Academy and Pixar Animation Studios. The course introduces learners to the fundamentals of the art of animation. More specifically, learners get to experience first-hand knowledge of the techniques and methods Pixar engineers use to create movies and animations.
The course covers different animation-related topics each of which comes with ‘a design focused lesson appropriate for grades 5+, followed by a math focused lesson which is grade specific.’ The topics included are :
- 'Environment Modeling: Explore how realistic blades of grass are modeled using parabolic arcs.
- Character Modeling: Explore how clay models are transformed into digital characters using weighted averages.
- Crowds: Explore how swarms of robots were created for WALL-E using combinatorics.
- Animation: Explore how animators bring characters to life with the help of Animation curves.
- Sets and Staging: Explore how virtual sets are constructed using geometric transformations.
- Rendering: Explore how pixels are painted by solving systems of linear equations.'
Courtesy of Open Culture
Follow us on : Twitter, Facebook , Google plus, Pinterest .