December 4, 2014
Here is another wonderful visual from Mia MacMeekin featuring a number of tips and ideas on how to facilitate online discussions.In fact, most of these tips are also valid for discussions taking place in a physical setting such as classroom. The section on prompts to stimulate conversation is what I like the most in this visual. You can use these prompts with students to help them get engaged in meaningful exchanges and discussions with each others.
Here is a quick round-up of these prompts:
- Can you clarify?
- Do you need anything else to answer this?
- Do you think?
- Do you agree with?
- So are you saying?
- Have you seen?
- So on the news, I noticed something similar
- What do your friends think?
- Is there someone else you can ask?
- Where did you hear that?
- Do you have a reference for that?