December 26, 2014
Below is an interesting visual I cam across through a tweet from We Are Teachers. The visual maps out some really intriguing facts about students today. These facts are based on different studies and surveys conducted mainly on US students. I went through this resource and devised this brief synopsis:
- Minority students attending US schools will make up a majority of all students attending public schools in US in the year 2014-2015.
- The average homework assigned by teachers of high school (9-12) is 3.5 hours, middle school (6-8) is 3.2 hours, and 2.9 for elementary school teachers (k-5).
- 55.9% of children 6-17 have digitally based devices in their bedrooms including TVs.
- 82,7% of 12 year olds take part in extra curricular activities outside school
- 80% of surveyed teachers reported that majority of their students came to school hungry at least once a week.
- Teenagers lose 2.7 hours of their sleep time on school nights because of staying up late.
- 31.1% of 10-17 years old are considered obese.
- 585 and 54% of US students reported that their lives are going great.