June , 2014
There are a variety of web tools that teachers can use to collect anonymous feedback from students. Unlike traditional clicker systems, these tools are web based and do not require any software or hardware purchase. They are free , easy to use and can be accessed anywhere, anytime with an internet connection.
Some of the pluses behind using these tools include :
- Fine-tune your instruction based on students responses
- In-time-teaching : allows you to make adjustments and adaptations to your teaching materials as needed in any given situation
- Evaluate students mastery of content
- Identify concepts that are providing difficulties for students to grasp
- Enable you to gauge students understanding
- Provide students with easy ways to validate their own learning
- Help students identify areas that require improvement
- They can be used to gauge students opinions on controversial or sensitive issues
- Feedback from students can be saved in a variety of formats and be used for semester-long analyses that may inform subsequent course development
Feedback Collection tools
Socrative is one of my favourite tools for getting feedback from students. Teachers can use the different question types provided by Socrative to poll their students and garner their feedback in a variety of formats using both smartphones or computers.
TodaysMeet is a great web tool for creating backchannels with your students. It is very easy and simple to use. You can use it in your class to engage students in sideline discussions and chats around a given topic. The process to set up a backchannel via TodaysMeet is very easy: first, create a room and give it a name and a duration then share the URL of that room with your students and start the chat.
Poll Everywhere is another powerful web tool to collect feedback from your audience. This tool provides you with a variety of templates and feedback forms to choose from.Audience answer in real time using mobile phones, Twitter, or web browsers. The neat feature I like the most about PollEverywhere is that it lets you see your response live on the web or in a PowerPoint or Keynote presentation.
Kwiqpoll is a web application that allows you to set up a poll form in a matter of few clicks. It does not even require any signup. Just fill in your textual input, set a voting time period and answer the security answer and there you go, your poll is ready to share with your students or via popular social media websites.
Infuse Learning provides a platform by which teachers can seamlessly engage every student on any device. Make informed decisions at the point of instruction with real-time, student feedback.
Follow us on : Twitter, Facebook , Google plus, Pinterest .