May 29, 2014
Edmodo is one of my favourite free learning platforms that I have been recommending for teachers and students over the last couple of years. The potential of Edmodo in education is huge and there are a plethora of ways to leverage this potential in classroom teaching.
As a teacher, Edmodo can help you :
- Provide your students with an enriching writing environment where they can compose, collaborate and share their writing projects with peers, teachers and family.
- Encourage real-time discussion and extend learning beyond the classroom through using Edmodo as a backchannel.
- Create a global classroom where you can invite students from other parts of the world to meet your students and develop language skills, communicational skills, skills of initiative, problem solving, self awareness and working collaboratively in teams.
- Maintain a communicational channel with parents and keep them updated on the classroom activities throughout the whole year.
- Create book clubs where students can get to develop their reading and writing skills.
- Create a teacher lounge where teachers from your school can discuss ideas and share content.
- Create a group for your class and use it to communicate upcoming assignments, quizzes, tests, due dates, class events, announcements and many more.
- Create alumni groups where students can keep in touch and stay connected with each other.
For those of you who have not yet tried Edmodo, the resources below are a good start. They will provide you with the necessary materials and know-how to help you tap into the educational potential of this learning platform.
You can access and download this table from this Google doc.
Edmodo Apps for Teachers
Edmodo Tips for Teachers
Edmodo Student Resources
Edmodo Professional Development Resources
Edmodo Parent Resources
Edmodo Cheat Sheet