With the increasing use of internet by our kids comes the risks that, if not addressed appropriately, would make this use disastrous. From online predators looming around waiting for their next victim to harassment and cyberbullying, these and several other issues are waiving a red flag for parents, teachers,and education stakeholders to take an immediate action and make digital citizenship an essential component in the curriculum. Kids need to be aware of these risks and should be taught on how to surf the net safely.
|Source: Renee Aguirre|
There is a special section here in Educational Technology and Mobile Learning where I have aggregated a plethora of resources that teachers can use with their students to teach them about digital citizenship. And today I come across these wonderful resources compiled by Taryn Degnan from Common Sense Media. I thought about tweeting the link without having to share it here but I know thousands of email and RSS Feed subscribers would miss it. Below is a round-up of all the links Taryn featured in her post. Enjoy
You can also check this great page from Tech Learning that features of 20 essential resources on digital citizenship.
ARTICLES AND ADVICE
- 10 Simple Steps to Internet Safety
- Internet Safety Tips for Elementary School Kids
- Internet Safety Tips for Middle School Kids
- Internet Safety Tips for High School Kids
- Internet Safety: Rules of the Road for Kids
- Tech Talk: Beyond Internet Safety
- Internet Filter Tips
- Help Your Kids Stay Safe and Secure In a Digital World
- Rules of the Road for Parents in the Digital Age
- Social Networking Tips
- Is It Safe to Post Photos of Your Kids?
- Keeping Kids Safe Online
- Why Online Privacy Matters
- Parents Need Rules, Too
- Is It Safe to Use Location Services?
- Staying Safe and Secure in a Digital World
- Social Media and Kids
- Tech Tip: Checking Browser Histories
- Kid-Safe Browsers and Search Sites
- Educational Websites
- Online Games for Kids
- Free Online Games for Kids
- Online Games for Girls
- Free Online Games for Girls
- Social Networking for Kids
- Kids' TV Online
Follow us on : Twitter, Facebook , Google plus, Pinterest .