March 5, 2014
Today while I was sifting through my archive I come across this list of digital storytelling tools which I posted in 2012 and since then I never updated it. Son instead of providing a traditional update in the form of a bulleted list I created instead a 2 page PDF chart that features an updated version of the best digital storytelling tools for teachers and students.
Some of the benefits of using digital storytelling with students include:
- It develops creativity and critical thinking
- Students who are shy or afraid to talk in class get a chance to speak out their minds
- It empowers students voice to deliver rich, deep message that is capable of conveying a powerful message.
- It helps students explore the meaning of their own experience, give value to it, and communicate that experience with others.
- It promotes the notions of life long learning and independent learning
- It develops students communicative skills
- It is a reflective process that helps students reflect upon their learning and find deep connections with the subject matter of a course or with an out-of-class experience.
- It fosters students sense of individuality
- It also gives students an opportunity to experiment with self-representation and establish their identity
- Students creating digital stories develop proficiency with multimedia applications