Word cloud tools are great for bringing into focus the main elements in a learning activity. You can use them to deconstruct a text or to pull out the main characters in a story or a book. Educational Technology and Mobile Learning has already featured a detailed guide on how teachers can use these tools in education and here are some of the ideas mentioned there:
- Use word cloud tools to brain storm a topic or create a discussion either inside the class or online
- Use them to teach vocabulary
- Use them in reading activities to promote comprehension
- Students can use them to feature important ideas from a discussion or a video content
- The entire class can use word clouds to react to a certain topic
- Have students create word clouds that generate understanding of a concept, standards or vocabulary word.
- Illustrate classroom thoughts or views using a word cloud to survey students.
- Create a class word cloud that highlights class expectation
- Post students first names to create a class or group word cloud