Critical thinking is an essential skill in our life.It is through thinking critically that we get to sideline our biases(cultural, racial,ethnic...etc) and see the clear picture.Critical thinking is a sort of meta-thinking, that is thinking about thinking. It is a key to self-reliance : memorize the solution to a particular problem and you may master the solution to that particular problem, but improve your critical thinking and you ll get yourself the tools to create your own effective solutions to a multitude of unfamiliar problems.
Critical thinking refers to a diverse range of intellectual skills and activities : analyzing, conceptualizing, defining, questioning, inferring, listening, reasoning, synthesizing...etc When you think critically, you are actually engaged in a process of evaluating information and thoughts in a disciplined way. It is a way to refine your thoughts and think and assess information more comprehensively.
Someone with critical thinking skills is able to do the following :
- understand the logical connections between ideas
- identify, construct and evaluate arguments
- detect inconsistencies and common mistakes in reasoning
- solve problems systematically
- identify the relevance and importance of ideas
- reflect on the justification of one's own beliefs and values