Collaborative writing is a great way to to teach students the writing skill while enjoying it. Now that technology and web 2.0 tools are ubiquitous, you can use a plethora of awesome tools to enhance collaborative writing in your class.
Natalia et al. paper on collaborative writing sheds some light on the importance of this skill for students:
- In the classroom, collaborative writing increases student participation, facilitates discussion of readings and enhances critical thinking (Chan, 1996).
- It encourages students to continually assess their own performance and class work as well as that of their peers (Jacobsen and Mueller, 1998).
- Students learn to clearly express ideas through writing . Collaborative writing effectively teaches the concept of teamwork.
- Collaborative writing improves document quality by pooling the strengths of group members. At the same time, individual weaknesses are caught by the group and revised.
- Ultimately, collaboration can be a form of motivation for students as they become excited about working with a group as well as the prospect of learning from other students.