Yesterday I finished reading one of the greatest books of 2011. I have been quoting some of its ideas into some articles here in Educational Technology and Mobile Learning and I guess you are already familiar with it and if not with the book then definitely with the Author. Who does not know the creativity pioneer Sir Ken Robinson? The video he made on TED about creativiy has been watched by millions of people all around the globe.
The book is called Out of Our Minds: Learning to be Creative and deals with the topic of creativity in education as has never beem dealt with.It is really inspiring and provides creative tips and methods of how teachers can make a change via simply understanding and knowing how creativity works. This book is not to be missed. I have already read the whole book and have summarized for you the most interesting parts into three topics : Teaching for creativity, Creative curriculum, and creative assessment.
- Promote experiments and inquiry and a willingness to make mistakes
- Encourage generative thought free from immediate criticism
- Encourage the expression of personal ideas and feelings
- Convey and understanding of phases in a creative work and the need for time
- Develop and awareness of the roles of intuition and aesthetic processes
- Encourage students to play with ideas and conjecture with possibilities
- Facilitate critical evaluation of ideas