Graphic organizers are visual representations of ideas and topics. They are also called knowledge maps, story maps, concept maps, mind maps, cognitive organizers, advance organizers, or concept diagrams. Below is a list of some interesting links that will provide you easy and quick access to some resources and websites where you can read, download and print graphic organizers.
The importance of graphic organizers in education
According to a research published in Mentoring Minds graphic organizers can positively impact education and here is how:"
- They are important in organizing essential content
- Fountas and Pinnell attests that illustrated content tends to remain longer in students minds
- They bring clarity to ideas and record relationships between facts and ideas
- They facilitate effective student learning via organizing concepts, ideas and facts graphically
- They help students think in multiple directions
- They help students generate mental images to go along with information
- They increase comprehension and retention
- They can improve students classroom performance and increase achievement test scores
- They engage the learner with a combination of the spoken word with printed text and diagrams"
Read Write Think. It allows students to organize their notes into engaging timelines that features five different units of measure namely: date, time,event,entry or other. Students ,upon selecting the appropriate entry, can add specific descriptions and place it on the timeline.
The Story Map is a free set of graphic organizers designed to help teachers and students in prewriting and post reading activities. It contains four key elements of the story together with their graphic representations mainly : Character Map, Conflict Map, Resolution Map, and Setting Map.
The Plot Diagram is a free graphic organizer offered for free by our great resource Read Write Think. This tool is mainly an organizational tool which is shaped like a triangle or better say a pyramid. It is used to map the events of a story in literature work.
The Persuasion Map is a great graphic organizer offered for free by Read Write Think. It allows students to map out their arguments for a persuasive or argumentative piece of writing.
Compare and Contrast Map, as its name suggests, is a tool that allows students to draw their differences and similarities about anything they want , be it characters in a text , political system of countries , or simply state what they like and dislike about a lesson plan.
It allows students to summarize a person’s biography into a neat and well organized sort of outline. It has an intuitive interface where info are organized into different categories. The final printout you get after you are done with customization can be folded into a fun cube shape that can be used for future reference.
Edhelpers provides a wide range of graphic organizers covering different topics . These graphs can be downloaded and , printed and used for free.
teacher helpers in the form of slide shows . These slides cover a wide range of topics dealing with technology and education .